When you’re stressed out, you might reach for a hemp treat to settle your nerves.
When your dog’s stressed, you might feel helpless because you don’t know what to do to make him or her feel better. But you can give your furry friend hemp dog treats.
Is hemp safe for pets?
Although we still need studies to show CBD and hemp’s effects on dogs, it is said that hemp and CBD products are safe for dogs. They can also offer various benefits.
These include reduced anxiety and improved well-being. But you might not be sure what CBD dog treats you should choose for your best friend.
Here’s everything you need to know about CBD dog treats and the best hemp dog treats for your pal that you can find online.
Best Hemp Dog Treats For Your Pal
Best Overall Winner: UpNature Hemp Dog Treats
If your dog experiences anxiety, such as during storms or when traveling in the car, you want to be able to help him out. These UpNature Hemp Dog Treats achieve that while also tasting great.
Here’s why they make our number-one spot.
- These tasty hemp treats contain healthy and delicious ingredients, such as chicken, flaxseed, sunflower, rosemary, and coconut.
- They’re natural and don’t contain any artificial flavors or preservatives, so you don’t have to worry about what you’re giving your loyal friend.
- These hemp treats contain 200mg of hemp extract in every piece, and if your dog is 30lbs or less, you only have to give him one piece.
- These dog treats are made in the USA.
- Not just meant for dogs who are anxious, these dog chews are said to even help aggressive dogs feel calmer. This makes them a must to keep in the house at all times.
- Some users report that they had to give their dogs a few treats in order to see the calming effects, so it might take a bit of time for your dog to feel calmer after eating these.
These hemp dog treats cost $15.99 and you get 60 in a bottle, so they’re budget-friendly while giving your buddy something great to snack on when he feels stressed out.
Runner Up: Bingo Pet Co Calming Treats for Dogs
These Bingo Pet calming treats are not just about what they can give your pet but show how important it is to focus on not giving your pet harmful ingredients. In fact, they give a miss to many toxins and chemicals so that your pet can stay as healthy as possible.
- These treats contain 100 percent hemp oil.
- They have a peanut butter flavor and have been proven to give your dogs relief from stress as well as help them to sleep better.
- The product has a dazzling list of ingredients it doesn’t contain, such as wheat, corn, soy, sugar, grain, gluten, and artificial flavors, so you can be sure you’re giving Fido only the best.
- It also has some interesting extra ingredients, such as valerian root and skullcap, which are both herbal treatments for anxiety.
- Some users have reported that their dogs didn’t want to eat the treats, so they might not be appealing to your pets. This can be problematic if you need to give your pets these hemp oil chews to calm them down, such as if you have to take them to the vet.
These hemp dog treats are a bit more expensive than the UpNature ones we featured previously, coming in at $26.95 on Amazon.
However, if you’re serious about helping your anxious dog, then they’re worth purchasing because of how they’re focused on keeping CBD dog treats as pure and natural as possible.
You also get 120 chews in a pack, so they’re sure to last a decent amount of time.
Alternative 1: Rigby Calming Treats for Dogs
One of the biggest trends in CBD dog biscuits and treats is that manufacturers of these products usually add other ingredients to them to boost their calming properties.
This is a nice bonus to ensure that your dog benefits from the chews. Rigby is an example of a product that does this. Let’s take a look at the benefits of these dog biscuits.
- These calming treats not only help to treat your dog’s anxiety – they also help to decrease any nervous behaviour, such as biting, scratching, or jumping.
- These are turkey-flavored chews that will be appealing to your dogs.
- They have a higher amount of hemp oil than dog relaxant products you can find on Amazon. In one Rigby chew, you’ll get 227mg of hemp oil as compared to 125mg in a dog relaxant product.
- The hemp oil that’s used in these dog treats is organic.
- These chews have ingredients such as hemp oil, organic chamomile, and passion flower extract that have calming benefits.
- They contain mood-boosting L-tryptophan so that your dog can feel good.
- Some users who purchased this product for their pets have reported that the chews don’t have an appealing smell, which makes it more difficult for their pets to want to eat them.
These Rigby chews cost $24.99 and you get 90 in a pack.
If you want to give your dog a healthy treat that also works to relieve his or her anxiety, these are a good choice as you’re reassured that they contain organic hemp.
Alternative 2: Tranquilo Pets Turmeric & Hemp Calming Treats for Dogs
You want to feel good about the hemp dog treats you give your furry friend but also about the company that produces them. Tranquilo Pets is committed to helping dogs, which makes these chews even more worth purchasing.
- These hemp dog chews have no GMO and they are organic. They’re also free of chemicals, corn, and soy.
- They contain the common ingredients to calm Fido down, such as passionflower, chamomile, and valerian, but also extras such as turmeric and magnesium.
- The company is committed to helping dogs in need. With every item that gets sold, they will vaccinate a dog against rabies.
- Some users have reported that their dogs did experience calmness, but only in certain situations.
These hemp dog treats are affordable as they cost only $13.25 on Amazon and come in packs of 100.
They’re a solid product that contains all the healthy ingredients you want in a hemp dog chew, and the fact that the company is committed to looking after dogs is an extra motivating factor to purchase it.
Alternative 3: Honest Paws Calming Bites with Roasted Peanut Butter Flavor
These natural treats are healthy for Fido, while also having some extra benefits. One of them is the type of hemp that’s used.
- One of the biggest reasons to purchase Honest Paws Calming Bites for your furry friend is because they contain full-spectrum hemp. This means that the product contains all the cannabinoids that were originally found in the hemp plant so you get a pure product.
- These dog treats have undergone third-party lab testing and you can view the report on their website, which is a nice touch. Choosing dog treats that have been tested is of the utmost importance to ensure that you’re only giving your furry friend the healthiest foods possible.
- You can easily snap these treats in half if you want to give your dog a lower dosage. This is also great if you’re giving your dog hemp for the first time and want to ensure that you don’t give him or her too much.
- The formula of these dog chews has recently changed to remove grain and make them easier for small dogs to eat, but some users have reported that their dogs no longer like the product.
- There are only 30 chews in a pack.
You can purchase these CBD dog chews from the Honest Paws website for $29.99 and they come in a pack of 30 dog treats. However, they’re worth choosing if you want to give your dog organic, full-spectrum hemp.
Hemp Dog Treats FAQ
We’ve looked at five of the best hemp dog treats for your pal, but you probably have some questions about them as well as hemp dog treats in general. Here’s the lowdown on giving your pet hemp.
Is it safe to give my pet CBD?
One of the most important things to do as a dog owner is to ensure that what you’re giving your pets is safe for them to consume.
While CBD is often shrouded in doubt because it’s derived from the cannabis plant, it’s not actually the same thing as marijuana. It won’t get your dog high, for instance, and this is because it doesn’t contain THC, a psychoactive compound that’s also derived from the same plant.
Now that that’s cleared up, it’s worth mentioning that it’s still not entirely understood how CBD works in dogs.
They do have an endocannabinoid system like humans do, but research still has question marks related to whether or not CBD interacts with their system in the way it does ours, as CNET reports.
That said, research has shown that CBD is safe and well-tolerated in most dogs, and this finding was published in a World Health Organization report, the site goes on to explain.
There are some catches, though.
If your dog has a liver condition, then you might want to tread with caution when giving him or her CBD treats. This is because liver function tests in canine studies have shown increased enzymes after dogs were given CBD, even though the dogs’ livers were normal.
While that’s reassuring, experts do claim that it’s best to avoid giving CBD to dogs who have liver conditions or problems, as CNET reports. If your dog doesn’t have any liver problems, then you can go ahead and give him CBD because it’s unlikely to cause health issues.
Liver issues aside, if your dog has been put on medication, you should always check with your vet to find out if giving him or her CBD is safe.
Since CBD gets metabolized by the liver, if your dog is on other medication that also gets metabolized by the liver it might not be safe to give them CBD because it’s unclear how the medication and CBD would interact, as CNET reports. While the interaction might not include intense side effects, it’s still best to err on the side of caution.
When it comes to THC, although CBD doesn’t usually contain this ingredient it can sneak into products that are on the market, which is a big concern for pet owners since THC is toxic to both dogs and cats. So, when choosing pet CBD treats, always be sure that they don’t contain any THC.
Scrutinize the manufacturers’ websites and products to be sure that you’re not choosing THC products.
While trace amounts of THC (less than 0.3 percent) is considered legal and safe for humans, it’s better to be cautious and avoid products with any THC traces when it comes to choosing the right CBD cookies for dogs.
How is CBD for pets different than CBD for humans?
When you want to give your dog a food that you enjoy, you might hear that it’s unsafe or toxic for them to eat. Based on this, it’s easy to assume that CBD that humans enjoy would be different from the CBD that’s safe for pets. However, this is not the case!
Experts have claimed that the CBD that humans consume, such as in oil form, is no different than what pets get in their products.
The reason for thinking otherwise is because oils can’t be labeled for both humans and pets, as the Food and Drug Administration doesn’t allow that, holistic veterinarian Judy Morgan tells WeedMaps. In addition, since human CBD oils can be quite concentrated it’s difficult to choose the right dosage for pets that will benefit them as well as be safe.
So, that’s where dog CBD products come in. As can be seen in the hemp dog treats that we’ve featured in this buying guide, the manufacturers will often state how much of the CBD cookies you can give your pet based on their weight, so you don’t have to worry about trying to figure out how much to give them.
These guidelines are essential to follow so that you give your pet enough CBD to make them feel less anxious and possibly even alleviate other symptoms they might be experiencing, such as pain from a chronic condition.
While the CBD content in human vs dog treats might be the same thing, choosing CBD treats that have been manufactured specifically for your dog is just a better idea all round.
This is because the treats will have flavors that will appeal to your dog, such as roast turkey or chicken. In addition, the treats will have other ingredients that are beneficial to your dog, and not just focused on helping them calm down during stressful situations, such as during storms of fireworks.
What are some reasons to try giving my pet CBD?
To date, there have been studies done that show CBD can help to make pets feel more comfortable, such as by relieving certain health conditions and pain.
A study that was published in 2018 found that CBD increased both the activity level and feelings of comfort in dogs who had osteoarthritis, as CNET reports.
At this point in time, there aren’t that many studies that look at what CBD can do for dogs, but Canine Journal lists these benefits that your dog can possibly enjoy from using CBD: relief from anxiety and stress, relief from pain, relief from chronic inflammation, relief from arthritis, relief from epileptic seizures, fewer digestion problems, relief from nausea, and even relief from cancer-related symptoms.
There are also loads of stories from pet owners online who have tried giving their dogs CBD products. These stories highlight how CBD can be beneficial for pets, such as by helping them to feel relaxed or sleep better.
Will CBD make my pet feel “high”?
CBD is a compound known as cannabidiol that’s derived from the cannabis sativa plant. THC, tetrahydrocannabinol, is another compound that’s taken from the same plant – this is what makes you feel psychoactive effects such as euphoria and makes you “high.”
But manufacturers of CBD products separate these two compounds so that CBD products don’t contain THC, and therefore can’t make you high. The same goes for manufacturers of CBD dog biscuits.
While your dog might display a calmer mood, this doesn’t mean he or she is high. It just means that the CBD is helping them to relax. Sure, your pet might look a bit dazed or too relaxed, but that’s just the CBD that’s causing those symptoms.
Some CBD treats for dogs will also contain mood-boosting ingredients to enhance feelings of wellbeing, which could give the impression that your dog is “high” even though he’s not. Such ingredients are a huge advantage for dogs who are stressed out.
An example of such a product that contains these ingredients is Rigby Calming Treats for Dogs. It contains L-tryptophan, an amino acid that’s known for regulating anxiety in dogs while also keeping their serotonin levels in a good place, so these chews are the perfect dog treats for anxiety while also making Fido feel much happier.
And when Fido’s happier, you’re bound to be happier too.
Giving your dog CBD and hemp treats might seem like something you shouldn’t do, but there are actually good reasons why you should go ahead and try it if your dog looks stressed out, anxious, or is suffering from a health condition that gives him pain.
CBD-related products can help to alleviate symptoms of anxiety in your dog while also being said to treat conditions such as arthritis, which can be painful for your pet to experience.
While there are still many studies that need to be done on the exact and long-term effects CBD has on dogs, as well as how it works, so far there are promising ideas surrounding CBD.
By following some important tips we’ve outlined in this article, you can ensure that the CBD treats you give your dog are safe and healthy. When giving your pet any kind of CBD pet treats, it’s important to do your research so you only give them safe, natural products that have been thoroughly tested.
In this article, we’ve not only encouraged that but have also done the homework for you by featuring five of the best hemp dog treats for your pal, so Fido can feel like the happiest pet on the block.