CBD has been gaining lots of attention, particularly when it comes to pain relief.
But this isn’t about getting high. The use of a CBD cream to alleviate pain is something that can change your life for the better without any negative side effects such as grogginess.
What is a CBD cream?
A CBD cream that you apply to your skin usually makes use of CBD, or cannabidiol, oil.
This oil is derived from the cannabis plant and can promote tranquility, but it’s not psychoactive because it doesn’t contain delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).
Along with feelings of relaxation, CBD oil is said to encourage pain relief, such as when it comes to chronic pain or physical pain after exertion.
Here, we look at the best CBD cream for pain, along with four alternatives that promise to send your pain packing.
Best CBD Cream For Pain
Best Overall Winner: Haley Organics Pain Relief Cream With Hemp Oil
One of the biggest reasons why this Haley Organics cream makes the number one spot on our reviews list is because of how it gives you pain relief while also giving you extra features that aim to accelerate healing.
- Although hemp oil is one of the ingredients in this product that offers pain relief, it’s by no means the only way you can attack your pain and feel better. This product contains beneficial ingredients such as arnica to heal bruises, castor oil for anti-inflammatory properties, and calendula to reduce swelling.
- This cream can be used for various issues, such as chronic pain, inflammation in the joints, and even muscle strains. It’s an all-round ointment that should be in everyone’s bathroom cabinet because it’s so versatile at treating different kinds of pain.
- It’s made without the use of any fragrances, artificial colors, or GMOs, so you can feel secure when using it that you’re not putting harmful ingredients and toxins on your skin, especially since our skin absorbs a lot of what we put on it!
- This hemp cream can be used in combination with other therapies, such as knee braces or arthritis gloves, which further makes it quite versatile.
- The cream gets absorbed into your skin quickly, without leaving behind an oily or greasy residue.
- It feels cool on your skin when you apply it, which can be a nice sensation if you’re experiencing pain or swelling and can make you feel soothed instantly.
- Some users of the product have reported that the bottle’s pump doesn’t work and it can be difficult to actually get the product to come out of it. A different bottle mechanism would have worked better and been more convenient, especially for daily use.
This product costs $33.89 on Amazon. Although that might sound expensive, the great thing about the fact that the bottle has a pump is that you can better control how much you use and a little will go a long way.
Runner Up: Sensei Hemp Intensive CBD Cream
Although not available from Amazon, this CBD cream is available from other outlets.
One of the best things about it is that it’s a completely organic product.
- It contains 500mg of isolate CBD oil and 10 percent Emu Oil which is really good for your skin, offering a silky smoothness upon application. Emu Oil is taken from adipose tissue that’s harvested from subspecies of the emu bird. It’s been known to have many benefits for the body, such as decreasing inflammation and improving wounds, as Healthline reports.
- This CBD cream is a natural anti-inflammatory that doesn’t contain any GMOs.
- Since it smooths your skin, it also has anti-wrinkle properties, which is a nice bonus as it makes you feel like you’re getting pain relief and a bit of pampering in one product.
- Users of the product have reported that it works well and quickly to offer pain relief. Just rub into the affected areas when they feel sore or after an intense workout session at the gym and you’ll immediately feel the effects.
- Although the product is listed as being vegan, it contains Emu Oil which is an animal-derived ingredient. If you’re vegan, you’ll want to find a different CBD cream.
This product, purchased from the Sensei CBD website, costs $75.
It’s quite a high price for a topical cream but the cream does have some promising features and lots of good reviews from people who have used it and been happy with its results. It’s the best CBD salve for pain.
Alternative: CBD Daily CBD Intensive Cream
This product looks more like a moisturizer than a CBD cream, and it works like both. Let’s look at its CBD and skin-saving benefits.
- This product contains cannabinoids that work with the body’s natural endocannabinoid system to promote pain relief.
- It also contains hemp seed oil that’s rich in fatty acids. These protect the skin against dryness.
- It’s got loads of skin-boosting ingredients, such as aloe, lavender, and shea butter to keep your skin moisturized and healthy.
- It’s said to be great for post-workout recovery, so make sure you pack it in your gym bag.
- Sometimes the pain relief you’re after doesn’t come as soon as you’d like, or you need to wait before reapplying a product to your skin. That’s not the case with this product. You can use this cream up to five times a day, and it’s safe because it doesn’t contain THC, an ingredient in cannabis that has psychoactive effects. Based on this, it’s a fantastic alternative to taking painkillers for pain, especially if you’re dealing with the kind of pain that keeps trying to come back.
- It feels soothing upon application, which is a bonus.
- Some users have complained about the plastic packaging of the container, but that is nothing that reflects negatively on the use of the product.
This CBD cream costs $9.99 for a 0.5oz container, $25.99 for a 0.7oz container, and $97.99 for an 8-oz container, so it’s worth purchasing a small container and trying it out without worrying about wasting money.
That said, it has tons of positive reviews so you probably won’t go wrong with this one.
Alternative: GreenIVe Hemp Oil for Pain, Stress, and Inflammation
This is hemp oil that you take by mouth instead of applying to your skin like other ointments we’ve outlined in this article. Let’s take a look at its features.
- This hemp oil contains hemp of the best quality and is said to assist you with various issues. These include giving you pain relief, stress relief, anxiety relief, as well as tackle inflammation in the body that can lead to pain and discomfort.
- The hemp that’s used to make this product is organically grown.
- In addition, the product doesn’t contain any fillers, artificial ingredients, or contaminates.
- Users have reported that it works within minutes to relieve pain. Others have claimed that they have experienced reduced inflammation.
- It can also help to aid sleep, which is a nice bonus.
- People have reported that the taste of this product isn’t that great and it smells like castor oil. A good tip is to drink water after putting the drops underneath your tongue so as to mask the taste.
- Although it’s said to contain omega ingredients, there isn’t much information about this. Omegas aren’t listed on the ingredients’ list.
This GreenIVe hemp oil costs $14.99 on Amazon.
It’s budget-friendly and the dropper ensures that a few drops are all you need to start feeling better.
It’s a must to have if you suffer from pain and need fast, effective relief when you’re on the go because it’s the best CBD pain cream.
Alternative 3: FabCBD Topical CBD Cream
The ingredients list on this product reads more like what you’d find in a moisturizer, with ingredients such as cocoa butter and Vitamin E. However, the use of hemp oil extract makes this a great pain-relieving cream to try if you need some relief.
- This cream contains 600mg of CBD and full-spectrum hemp extract that is organically grown in the USA. Full-spectrum hemp is valuable in pain relief creams because it means that the oil contains all the same compounds and cannabinoids that were originally found in the hemp plant, so you can make the most of all its goodness.
- This cream is said to help the body recover after exercise, offer support for stress, and ensure calmness so you can concentrate better.
- Users have reported that the cream works instantly to offer pain relief.
- It has a subtle citrus scent to make applying it feel good and boost your mood, which is a nice touch.
- Some users have reported that the cream is good but they wish the price was a bit more affordable.
The FabCBD Topical CBD Cream costs $49 so it is quite expensive as compared to other creams for pain relief, but dabbing a little bit onto sore, painful areas will give you instant relief.
CBD Oil For Pain FAQ
Why is CBD oil great for pain treatment?
There’s been a lot of talk about how the best CBD cream for pain can help you to gain pain relief, but why is it such a successful treatment that some people swear by?
Before we answer that question, let’s first look at what CBD oil actually is.
Cannabidiol oil is a type of cannabinoid, a chemical that is found in cannabis plants, as Healthline reports. CBD oil doesn’t make you feel high, however, because it doesn’t contain THC. This makes it safe to use in a variety of circumstances.
People use CBD products, such as creams and oils, to treat a variety of problems. These include pain, inflammation, and discomfort from illness, the site goes on to explain.
One of the areas where CBD products really shine is when it comes to treating chronic pain.
Researchers have found that CBD interacts with the body’s natural endocannabinoid receptors to reduce inflammation and help with pain.
A recent review that monitored studies about chronic pain and CBD (via Healthline) found that it was effective at treating pain in a variety of ways, such as by treating neuropathic pain and conditions such as fibromyalgia, without negative side effects that can be found in conventional medications and treatments.
This is an exciting prospect because it gives people who are dealing with regular pain a natural and effective alternative to gaining relief. The fact that CBD oil comes in a variety of different forms, such as drops and ointments and even gummy sweets, further makes it easier and more appealing to use.
What chronic ailments can CBD help with?
There are many chronic health conditions that CBD is said to help with. If you experience pain from your condition, then CBD can alleviate it.
A study that was published in Current Neuropharmacology found that when CBD made contact with receptors in the body that receive stimuli, it interacted with them and decreased both pain and inflammation, as Everyday Health reports.
However, physical pain isn’t the only thing that CBD can help to treat. When it comes to mental issues, such as anxiety, these can also be treated with the use of CBD. A study published in Neurotherapeutics found that topical CBD in particular has the potential to treat multiple anxiety disorders.
In addition, research that was published in the Journal of the American Society for Environmental NeuroTherapeutics reports that “preclinical evidence strongly supports CBD as a treatment for anxiety disorders,” as Everyday Health states.
These disorders include generalized anxiety, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and even post-traumatic stress disorder.
On the topic of a chronic condition that CBD can help to treat, it might surprise you to find out that it can be useful in the management of high blood pressure. This condition can lead to serious health problems, such as heart disease and stroke, so it’s important to keep it under control.
CBD can help to do that. In a study that was published in JCI Insight, when researchers looked at how CBD could affect healthy men between the ages of 19 and 29, they found that one dose of CBD lowered their resting blood pressure.
This was said to be because CBD has the effect of reducing anxiety and pain.
How does CBD oil work (chemically)?
Before we can see how CBD works in the body to relieve pain and other discomfort, it’s important to note that CBD is one of approximately 85 or more cannabinoids that are found in the cannabis plant. It is known as a major phytocannabinoid, which makes up approximately 40 percent of the plant’s extract, as PubChem reports.
When consumed, it can bind itself to physiological targets of the human body’s endocannabinoid system.
What does that mean?
The body’s endocannabinoid system contains three important components: cannabinoid receptors that are located on the surface of cells, metabolic enzymes that break down endocannabinoids after the body has used them, and endocannabinoids themselves, which are small molecules that will switch on cannabinoid receptors, as Leafly reports.
Now, plant cannabinoids have various effects on the body because of this endocannabinoid system that is a natural part of us.
When the two interact, receptors are activated and this has an effect on us. To put it scientifically, the cannabinoids will copy the behavior of endocannabinoids and connect with receptors, as Formula Swiss explains. When this happens and the two interact, physiological responses are triggered.
There are two important receptors that deal with cannabinoids:
CB1 and CB2 receptors.
CB1 receptors are ones that can be found all over the body but many are located within the brain. These deal with various functions in the body, such as movement, appetite, memories, and pain.
CB2 receptors are mainly found in the body’s immune system, so they affect pain as well as inflammation, as Medical News Daily reports.
Although it’s been said that CBD attaches itself to receptors, this isn’t exactly the case. It actually directs the body to use more of its own cannabinoids, as the site goes on to explain.
Can CBD oil help you with arthritis?
Earlier, we looked at different chronic conditions that CBD oil can help you better manage and treat. What about arthritis, which affects approximately 54 million people worldwide, as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports?
There has been research done that has shown CBD oil can help to alleviate arthritis-related pain. In one study, published in the European Journal of Pain (via Harvard Health), CBD oil was applied to the skin and lowered both pain and inflammation that was associated with arthritis.
That said, the study was an animal model and there is still much to learn when it comes to studying the effects of CBD oil on people with arthritis pain.
The site goes on to say that some people who have decided to try CBD have stated that they have experienced positive effects, such as relief from pain, better sleep quality, and less anxiety, so it can be beneficial for arthritis but results are quite varied.
The best thing is to go ahead and try a CBD cream for arthritis pain.
CBD is said to be safe to use but this might not be the case if you’re on other medicines to treat your arthritis, which is why it’s important to keep your doctor posted on your interest in adding CBD oil to your treatment plan, as the Arthritis Foundation reports.
If you’re experiencing regular pain and don’t want to depend on medication, the use of a CBD cream can help to relieve your symptoms while giving you a greater feeling of control when you experience a flare-up.
There are many excellent CBD options on the market, as can be seen in our reviews of the best CBD cream for pain. These not only target pain, but can help to decrease inflammation, swelling, and in some cases even help you to relax so that you can sleep better.
Now that you’ve read this guide, you’ll be in a more informed position to choose the best CBD cream for your pain and gain relief immediately.
In addition to our buying guide, we’ve also featured some common questions about CBD creams for pain, such as how they work to offer you relief.
Knowing this is important so that you can gain better control of your pain.